Zakher association is the only female assembly in Al-Shijaia area - Gaza. The Assembly began its work in 2000 and then obtained a full license for its activities in 2003.
Zakher operates in the following four sectors of development:
- Enabling and supporting women and children.
- Public health and the environment.
- Training and education in Culture and arts.
Its genereal objectives are:
- To pay attention to the issues regarding Palestinian women and their abilities to develop and enhance their role in society.
- To contribute in finding solutions to the problems of women both regarding mental health and social development.
- To strengthen the role of women in the areas of child care and reproductive health.
- To develop projects that help women to alleviate the economic burden on families in need.
- To deepen the bonds of interdependence and social solidarity.
- To activate the role of women and increase their awareness of the contribution to the protection of the environment and maintain its integrity and safety.
- To pursue a training policy which can increase women’s skills and change their tendencies into a better direction.
This platform is part of the Axis 1 "Strengthening the capacities of equality actors" of the Priority Solidarity Fund "Women for the future in the Mediterranean" funded by the French Ministry of Europe and Foreign Affairs and led by the European Institute of the Mediterranean, in the framework of the project “Developing Women's Empowerment” labelled by the Union for the Mediterranean.