Mediterranean Observatory of Communication (OMEC) is a nonprofit organization, founded in 2004 by a group of professionals in information and communication linked to universities and international cooperation.
They are an interdisciplinary network of people and institutions on both sides of the Mediterranean working in the sector of information, communication and ICT in the region as a framework for action aimed at promoting dialogue, human development and exercise of human rights.
Their main research and education activities conducted on gender equality are conducting research in the media (TV and press); communication, cooperation and development for the social change and conducting research in the Mediterranean issues about communication.
One of its line of work is the construction of a Resource Centre that provides information about the various agents of the Mediterranean ecosystem of communication, information and links in five main areas, including Gender and Communication in the Mediterranean.
Their objectives are:
1. Promote networking and partnership relations between the different actors that make up the communication ecosystem Mediterranean.
2. Increasing access to knowledge and cultural diversity in the field of communication, information society and human development.
3. Promote the mainstreaming of communication for development and social change in the relevant powers in the regional programs and projects of development cooperation.
4. Implement a system of indicators, data collection and regular reporting to enable monitoring, evaluation and development of proposals for intervention in the areas of communication rights and cyberspace, public policy, communication, social responsibility media, transition to information society and digital divide at the regional Mediterranean.
5. Influence public policies that create barriers to access, participation and ownership of the most vulnerable groups, incorporating a gender perspective in all its operations.
OMEC has over 10 years of work experience in gender equality.
Address : Building I. Campus de la UAB, 08193 ,Spain
Adress email : email@example.com
Website : http://omec.uab.cat/contacta_en.php
This platform is part of the Axis 1 “Strengthening the capacities of equality actors” of the Priority Solidarity Fund “Women for the future in the Mediterranean” funded by the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Development and led by the European Institute of the Mediterranean, in the framework of the project “Developing Women’s Empowerment” labelled by the Union for the Mediterranean.