Location: Jerusalem, Palestinian Territories
Application Deadline: 30 March 2020 (Midnight New York, USA)
Category: Gender Equality
Post Level : SB-3
Languages Required : Arabic , English
Starting Date : 01-Jun-2020
Duration of Assignment : 12 Months
The UN Women (UNW), grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the center of all its efforts, the UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
UN Women plays an innovative and catalytic role in the State of Palestine since its inception in 1997 as UNIFEM. UN Women focuses its activities on one overarching goal; namely to empower Palestinian women and girls and to allow them to enjoy their human rights. In support of this goal and thoroughly taking into consideration the specificities of the context in Palestine, UN Women concentrates its efforts and interventions toward the realization of three strategic goals: Engendering humanitarian action and increasing the effective leadership and participation of women in peace and security; Supporting women’s income security, decent work and economic autonomy; and Promoting a life free of violence for women and girls in Palestine, also, UN Women works in an integrated manner to align its normative and operational mandates through enhanced coordination, coherence and accountability of the UN system for commitments to gender equality and women’s empowerment, and through developing and implementing programmes across thematic areas to support the State of Palestine to address gender perspectives in intergovernmental processes (such as the Beijing Platform for Action, Enhancing the implementation of UNSCR 1325, reporting and implementing CEDAW, etc.).
To achieve its results, UN Women Palestine Country Office would like to recruit a qualified programme Associate to support UN Women’s projects under the women’s economic empowerment portfolio and the normative work.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the overall guidance of the UN Women Special Representative and the direct supervision of the assigned Programme Manager/s, UN Women wishes to bring on board a Programme Associate, who will undertake the following duties and responsibilities:
Provides effective support to management of the programmes; focusing on the achievement of the following actions:
Provides support to Financial Resources Management
Provides programmatic support focusing on achievement of the following actions:
Supports knowledge building and knowledge sharing focusing on achievement of the following actions:
Core Values - Guiding Principles :
· Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
· Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity:
· Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff.
· Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
· Ethics and Values: Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity;
· Organizational Awareness: Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment.
· Development and Innovation: Take charge of self-development and take initiative;
· Working in teams: Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
· Communicating and Information Sharing: Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication;
· Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others.
· Conflict Management: Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
· Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and competencies: https://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-values-and-competencies-framework-en.pdf?la=en&vs=637
Required Skills and Experience
· A bachelor’s degree in Finance/Accounting, Business Administration, development, or other related fields.
Very good communication and writing skills and fluency in English and Arabic (comprehension, written and spoken)
The following documents should be submitted as part of the application. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please make sure you have provided all requested materials:
This platform is part of the Axis 1 "Strengthening the capacities of equality actors" of the Priority Solidarity Fund "Women for the future in the Mediterranean" funded by the French Ministry of Europe and Foreign Affairs and led by the European Institute of the Mediterranean, in the framework of the project “Developing Women's Empowerment” labelled by the Union for the Mediterranean.